Multi-media storytelling, writing for broadcast/print/web,
HTML5 (beginner), XD-CAM, web-design, video editing,
Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, AVID Media Composer/Newscutter,
iNews, Shopworks (CRM)
RESEARCH & WRITING FOCUS
multi-media storytelling, human rights, development and trade,
feature writing, conflict studies,
child soldiers & children affected by war,
- Post-graduate program – Journalism New Media, Sheridan College (Toronto, CA),
- Honours BA – Political Science/International Development, Dalhousie University (Halifax, CA)
- Honours thesis topic: A Rights-Based Approach to Development
- Study abroad – Universidad de la Habana (Havana, Cuba) – FLACSO (Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales)
Dominican Republic (Employment – 1.5 Years)
Cuba (Study abroad – 3 Months)
Nicaragua (Exposure Trip – 2 Weeks)
Accent Group Promotions Inc.
SALES AND MARKETING
February 2012 – Present (Freelance)
Key Responsibility: Directly support the sales executives.
- Directive: Office management; Develop 5-year strategic plan and financial strategy.
- Communications: Develop marketing strategy, web platforms, mail-outs, e-blasts and executive gifts for clients.
- Event Planning: Coordinate client events, educational seminars and large-scale distributions.
- Human Resources: Candidate screening and interviews; Employee training.
- Clients Included: Canon Canada, Edelman, Exchange Solutions, Konica Minolta, Ebay, Philips Lifeline, Wills Transport, MDS Aero, ITN Logistics, Curtiss Wright Controls.
The Romeo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative (RD-CSI)
CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR – ZERO FORCE Youth Mobilization Campaign
February 2011 – February 2012
Key Responsibility: Execute the advocacy and educational agenda of RD-CSI.
- Finance: Create cost projections; Manage budgets and expenses.
- Directive: Manage volunteers/interns; 5-Year Strategic Plan and Financial Strategy;
- Communications: Develop marketing strategy; Design graphics & write copy for promotional material and volunteer manual; Produce web content.
- Fundraising and Event Planning: Execute fundraisers/photo exhibits; Educational school presentations; Represent the organization at conferences.
- Media: Draft media advisories & coordinate media at events; Public appearances on A-Channel Morning News (Ottawa) and Parliament Hill address.
- Partnerships Included: UN NATO-VETS (Canada), UN SRSG Office on Children and Armed Conflict (New York), police (Ottawa and Calgary), & teacher committees.
Habitat for Humanity Dominican Republic (HFH-DR)
GLOBAL VILLAGE NATIONAL COORDINATOR
February 2009 – April 2010
Key responsibility: Establish Global Village program in HFH-DR National Office; Coordinate national & international construction teams.
- International: Coordinate all international construction projects organized in coop. with sending program affiliates in US/CAN & team leaders.
- Logistics: Secure accommodation, food/water, transportation; Facilitate banking, tourism outings, briefing and debriefing sessions; Manage budgets on a per/team basis; Conflict resolution & mediation onsite; Provide translation & training in coop with local engineers; Editorial design and copywriting of manuals.
- Safety and Security: Acuteness to security threats on and off job sites; Report breeches of security in accordance with HFH-LAC regional office protocols.
- Post Earthquake (Haiti): Provide emergency relief assistance & logistical support to international HFH representatives operating out of Dominican national office.
- Participants Included: Sunlife Financial (Edmonton), Ben and Jerry’s – Global Franchisees, North Carolina State Uni., HFH Indian River Affiliate; Teams:10-200ppl, Duration: 1-14 days.
- Direct reporting to: HFH-DR Human Resources dept., HFH-LAC Regional Office (Costa Rica), Canadian Sending Program (Waterloo, ON), and US Sending Program (Americus, GA).
INTERESTS AND HOBBIES
Volunteering, pottery, photography, natural health, documentaries, outdoor adventures, surfing, snowboarding, strategy board games, reading historical fiction/non-fiction